Wednesday, September 14, 2011

My 14 year old son's anger issues... am I alone with this? (parents only please)?

Okay so this morning before school my son (14) was playing XBOX Live and something happened to it so it could not connect to the internet suddenly....



He got so angry to the point he cried (he VERY rarely cries).



Now you are probably thinking all he does is play video games, but actually he doesn't... He has a very busy schedule, gets good grades in school (although gets in fights sometimes), and play Varsity Basketball as well as AAU basketball, and he is a very popular kid.



He uses the XBOX as a relaxing time, and plays for about 1.5 to 2 hours a day, on top of a total of 3.5 hours of basketball practice a day and school.



He just seems to have a very short/hot temper...



Sometimes it feels like the smallest of things can set him off, the other day he got in trouble at school and a referal because he got in a fight because another kid tripped when they were changing classes and bumped into my son (Kobe) as he tripped, so Kobe ended up pushing this kid which made a fight start.



Okay so my question is do any of your kids around the same age as my son ever get like this over something very small, and if so, how do you deal with it? How do you handle them during and after their anger moments?



Many ThanksMy 14 year old son's anger issues... am I alone with this? (parents only please)?I'm a 16 year old guy and I used to have a really short temper when I was 13-14. I got a week out of school suspension for getting into 3 fights in a week.



Around the time I turned 15ish, it just went away. It probably had something to do with puberty/hormones.



Hope this helps and best of luck with your son.My 14 year old son's anger issues... am I alone with this? (parents only please)?He's at an age where his hormones are surging, which can cause mood swings in males just as easily as in females. He also probaby feels he has a lot on his plate, what with school and sports. But as his parent, you need to constantly remind him how his actions could effect his life. Getting angry is a normal human emotion, but how we deal with it is what makes all the difference. Maybe get a book on coping techniques for anger, like counting to 10. It's not going to change over night, but he needs to be aware of this issue before he can start working on it.